Tuesday 25 September 2012

Sexual Abuse and Counselling

Sexual abuse affects many people, both men and women as adults and children. There is  research that suggests up to one in five people have suffered some form of sexual abuse prior to their 18th birthday.

Survivors of abuse may have attempted to push their memories and feelings away. This can have difficult consequences. They may have feelings of intense shame and have serious difficulty putting trust in other people. This can lead to low self esteem, depression, fear, panic attacks and physical and sexual issues.

Having counselling can help to dissolve the feelings because you can discuss your experiences in a supportive and non judgemental environment. As your counsellor I may not be able to truly know what you have been through, but I would want to get the best understanding I could by creating the right environment for safety and openness so that we could effectively work together.

We can then begin the process of reintegrating the feelings and memories so they seem less frightening. I want to build a trusting and reliable relationship where we go at your pace and respect confidentiality.

I mainly, but not always, work with males and my aim is to help clients leave counselling more empowered so they can feel more able to live their lives with a fresh perspective.

I work flexibly with people in Waterloo, Central London and via Skype. Please contact me to book a session or to discuss your situation in more detail to see whether I can be of help.

Written by

Jonny Sibbring

jonnysibbring.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment